Monday, June 14, 2010

Welcome and Good Night STRAWBERRY moon...



I am almost certain that crescent moons are my favorite moons to capture. Not only for the technical challenge but fun of welcoming or bidding adieu to the moon during its monthly phase cycle. In this case I am saying hello to a 42 hour old moon. Someday I'll actually capture a moon less than 24 hours old but that will take some more skills and equipment upgrades. But for now I am pretty sure that this is my youngest capture with the 1000mm lens. I usually wait until after the 2nd day to use my 1000mm lens but I knew there was zero cloud cover this day so I started out with my biggest lens and then moved back to my Bigma as it got closer to the horizon.



In the above shot the smear at the bottom of the moon is a plane passing by. I saw it coming about 5 seconds before it crossed and realized I wouldn't have time or favorable light conditions with my super slow 1000mm lens to get a clear shot of the plane AND the moon so I just went with this slow shutter smeary look. This is part of the fun shooting the moon nearly everyday, mastering the timing to capture moments that last fractions of a second. And this is with shutter lock on so I have to time to raise AND release just right.



Here is the moon less magnified, after switching to the Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm). This is a more accurate view of how the moon looked, the sky wasn't black yet but there was little to no color left in the sky. I could just make out the slightest hint of earthshine with my naked eye so I adjusted exposure and ISO settings to capture more light as you can see here...



and here as the moon slips out of view...

No comments:

Post a Comment